Law Office of Robert N. Getz, P.S.
Helping Families For Over A Quarter Century
Robert N. Getz

Can I get a sole child custody order?

Getting a divorce? Have children to consider? Wondering if sole child custody is an option? It may or may not be for some Washington residents. 

What is sole custody? This is where only one parent achieves custody of his or her children. The other parent may or may not be granted visitation rights. It all depends on the family circumstances. There are times when the non-custodial parent will not achieve any level of visitation -- such as if domestic violence and/or substance abuse are noted issues.

When there is a request for sole custody, the matter is generally handled in court. Each parent will have the opportunity to present his or her case for or against the request. A judge will then get to decide if this type of custody arrangement is really going to serve the best interests of the affected children. That last part is key. It has to be an arrangement that will put the children in a good situation, one that will help their mental well-being.

As studies have shown that there are numerous benefits to joint custody arrangements, the awarding of sole child custody may be harder to achieve than it used to be. That being said, it all depends on familial circumstances and how one presents his or her case in court. Washington residents who wish to achieve sole custody of their children may be able to do so. An experienced family law attorney can help them prepare and present their cases for court consideration.

Source:, "How to Get Sole Custody of Your Kids", Debrina Washington, Accessed on April 30, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact a Lawyer

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Law Office of Robert N. Getz, P.S.
2828 Colby Avenue
Ste. 406
Everett, WA 98201

Toll Free: 866-460-2535
Phone: 425-405-6278
Fax: 425-388-0247
Everett Law Office Map

Review Us