Start Your Case With One Phone Call

When You Don’t Want to Live Together Anymore

If you live with a domestic partner in the state of Washington, you acquire certain property and parenting rights. Washington is a community property state. That means that all property and assets acquired during the relationship may be categorized as joint or community property and subject to valuation and equitable distribution, even if you are not officially able to get a divorce. This includes pensions and qualified retirement accounts.

The State of Washington recognizes living-together relationships as a legitimate domestic relationship and grants many rights and privileges of marriage to the parties. Depending upon your circumstances, about the only thing that is not available is maintenance (often called “alimony” in other states).

Courts look at every case as a unique situation. The duration of the relationship is often a critical component of whether you will receive property rights. Your parenting rights are addressed separately under the paternity statutes and you may find the need to create two separate actions and then consolidate them. Have you been living together in a committed relationship long enough? Call me to discuss your circumstances.

I am Everett committed relationship attorney Robert Getz. My professional staff and I provide family law services for clients in Snohomish County and Skagit County, Washington. Call 425-405-6278 for a free initial 10-minute phone discussion with an experienced lawyer. I cannot give legal advice over the telephone. You may also contact my office by email to describe your situation and arrange an initial consultation at my office in Everett.

No Charge for Your Initial Phone Consultation · Visa and MasterCard Accepted

My office hours in Everett are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, with a one-hour lunch break from noon to 1 p.m. Evening and weekend consultations may be available by special arrangement. Validated free off-street parking is available.

Don’t need a full range of legal services? Visit my Unbundled Services/Flat Fees page.

Map & Directions